Opened in March 1993 as a remand centre/young offender institution, the establishment’s capacity was increased when a new residential unit was opened in June 1996. In 2011, the establishment changed its role from a category B YOI to a category C YOI training establishment, and then in 2014, the prison then became an adult category C resettlement prison.
There are 4 main residential units, each with 2 wing split into 2 landings . The cells are mainly single cells with few doubles
- Grizedale – First night centre
- Coniston 1 – Well-being unit
- Coniston 2 – General population
- Derwent – General population
- Windermere – General population
- Buttermere – General population
- Ullswater – Segregation unit
There is health care unit staffed 24 hours by North Lancashire Primary Care Trust.