HMP and YOI Peterborough opened in March 2005 and Sodexo Justice Services is subcontracted to operate the prison. It shares the same site and management as a Male Cat B prison, and is part of the East of England region. It has a capacity of 396, and the #1 governor is Damian Evans.
The residential units are in 2 houseblocks. Each had five self-contained wings with a servery, showers, baths and association areas. Wings consisted of purpose-built double cells or single cells, some of which have been adapted for two prisoners. There is a dedicated self contained mother and baby unit with 12 rooms.
- A1 Young adults (18-25 years)
- B1 First night centre and induction women needing detoxification
- C1 First night centre and induction
- D1 Longer-term and life-sentenced prisoners
- E1 Open and enhanced unit.
- A2 Remand prisoners
- B2 Restricted status prisoners and general population
- C2 Transitional care for poor copers
- D2 Non-vaping units and general population
- E2 Foreign national prisoners.