HMP Littlehey first opened in 1988 on the site of Gaynes Hall Youth Custody Centre. In January 2010, the site was extended to accommodate a population of up to 480 young offenders, with the addition of four new accommodation blocks, an all-weather sports pitch, gym, adult learning and kitchen buildings. In 2014 the prison was re-roled to become an all adult male Cat C sex offender prison.
- A wing General population
- B wing General population
- C wing Community wing, run on rehabilitative culture principles
- D wing General population
- E wing Induction unit
- F wing Progression unit for enhanced residents
- G wing Progression unit for enhanced residents
- H wing Accredited enabling environment
- I wing Elderly unit with support
- J wing Elderly unit with support
- K wing General population
- L wing General population
- M wing Indeterminate sentence for public protection (IPP) unit
Wings A – H are on the original site and are referred to locally as Lakeside. Wings I – L are on the newer site and are referred to locally as Woodlands.