The original Feltham was built in 1854 as an industrial school and was taken over in 1910 by the Prison Commissioners as their second Borstal institution. The existing buildings opened as a remand centre in March 1988. The current HM Prison and Young Offender Institution Feltham was formed by the amalgamation of Ashford Remand Centre and Feltham Borstal in 1990/91. The establishment is split into Feltham A, which holds young people (aged 15-18), and Feltham B, which holds young adults (aged 18-21).
There are 7 units for young people. Each unit holds 30. Almost all the cells are single occupation. All cells have integral sanitation and television.
- Alpine Enhanced support unit
- Curlew Induction and reverse cohort unit
- Dunlin Normal location
- Eagle Normal location-enhanced privileges
- Falcon Reintegration Unit
- Heron Normal location
- Jay Normal location
There are 10 units for young adults, including Kingfisher as the first night and induction unit. All rooms have integral sanitation and TV.
- Kingfisher – induction unit, 53 beds
- Lapwing – closed
- Mallard – normal location, 55 beds
- Nightingale – normal location, 55 beds
- Osprey – closed
- Partridge – normal location, 55 beds
- Quail – normal location, 55 beds
- Raven – normal location, 55 beds
- Swallow – normal location, 55 beds
- Teal – closed
- Ibis – segregation unit