HMP Winchester was built in 1846 and is a typical Victorian prison of radial design. C wing was fully refurbished in 2008. There are 2 main parts to the prison, the main older part holding Cat B man, and the new smaller part, commonly referred to a West Hill holding Cat C and a small number of Cat D men who are eligible for ROTLs
On the local prison site:
- A wing: remand and convicted vulnerable prisoners
- B wing: remand and convicted prisoners
- C wing: closed to conduct fire safety improvements
- D wing: remand and convicted prisoners, including the induction and first night unit.
On the category C site there are 2 units accommodating category C and a small number of category D prisoners