Visiting times for the prison are Mon: 13:30 – 16:00, Sat: 08:15 – 11:00 & 13:30 – 16:00 and Sun: 08:15 – 11:00 & 13:30 – 16:00
Visits must be booked via the Visitors Centre at least 24 hours before the date of the visit. Visits can also be booked through the visits booking line up to a maximum of 28 days in advance. The telephone number is 01777 862107. The booking line is open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday between 08.30 hours and 16.00 hours. The booking line is not open on a Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year’s Day or Good Friday.
To book online, visit: www.gov.uk/prison-visits
All you need is the name and date of birth of the person you are visiting and their prisoner number
You can choose up to 3 possible dates and times. Prison booking staff will check what’s available and confirm your visit by email. If you’ve made an online visit booking request and haven’t received a confirmation email within 1-3 working days, please email email@example.com.
You should be aware that visitors to HMP Ranby must have the correct ID when visiting any inmate. This is:
- Passport, including foreign passports, and time expired passports where the photograph is still recognisable
- EU identity card
- Photographic driving licence
- Senior citizen’s public transport pass issued by a local authority
- Employer’s or student ID card but only if this clearly shows the name of the visitor and the employer or educational establishment, and has a photograph or signature which can be compared with the visitors appearance or signature, and if the employer or educational establishment is known to exist.
If the visitor is unable to produce one of the above, staff may accept combinations of two or more of the following:
- Birth/marriage certificate
- Rail or bus pass with photo
- Cheque book or credit/debit card (counts as one item)
- Employer’s pass or ID or student ID card not acceptable under main list
- Young persons ‘proof of age’ card
- Trade union or national students membership card
- Library card if it has a signature that can be compared with the visitor’s signature
- Rent book
- Foreign identity or resident’s card (other than EU ID cards acceptable in their own right)
- Expired documents from the above list that appear satisfactory in other ways
Transport to the Prison
If you want to plan your journey on public transport visit the travel web site (click here). It is an excellent way to plan your visits.
HMP Ranby is situated about one mile from Ranby village which lies 3 miles from Retford and 6 miles from Worksop on the A620.
Buses run in both directions along the main Retford to Workshop A620 and stop outside the prison. Retford lies on the main East Coast Railway line from London Kings Cross to Edinburgh. The station is approximately 3 miles from the prison. Taxis are available at the station.
If travelling by car from the South: exit M1 at junction 30 (A619 Worksop) and follow signs for Worksop; pick up A57 to Retford. Follow the Retford A57 (A1); at large roundabout at junction to main A1 trunk road take the northbound direction and in approx. 2 miles exit on to the A620 Retford road, turning left. Prison is approx. 1 mile along this road on the left hand side. The training unit is directly opposite the prison. (Do not confuse the prison with Ranby village signs which are shown prior to the prison.)
From the North: pick up A1 and stay on this road until exit to Retford A620 is signed. At this junction turn right in direction of Retford and prison lies approx. one mile along road on left hand side