HMP Norwich has occupied its current site overlooking the city of Norwich since 1887. Following closure of the last remaining large Victorian prisoner wing in August 2009, a new residential unit has been opened catering for prisoners new to custody and substance misusers requiring support.
Although one prison, the establishment has three distinct sites, with Britannia House and the Local discharge unit both sited next to the main prison known which is known as the Reception site.
- A wing Induction unit, first night centre, integrated drug treatment system stabilisation and maintenance
- B & C wings hold prisoners in category B and C, remands and rule 45 vulnerable prisoners
- E wing houses older prisoners and those with coping difficulties
- M wing caters for category C prisoners serving two years or less
- U (Ketts Unit) Special care and segregation unit
Local discharge unit
- F & G wings house low-risk category C prisoners serving 12 months or less
- H wing Type 3 health care unit
- L wing contains elderly lifer prisoners
- D wing Resettlement unit housing category D prisoners