HMP Leyhill originally opened with hutted accommodation in 1946 (it was formerly a United States Army Air Forces wartime hospital) and was the first independent, minimum security prison in England and Wales and has no perimeter security fence. It was established to adopt an experimental approach to the rehabilitation of selected long-term prisoners. New housing units were build around 30 years ago providing single room accommodation. The redevelopment provided a central kitchen, dining room and staff club. Later additions in the 90’s added a visits complex, reception, chapel, hospital and facilities for the farms and gardens, works department, physical education and education departments. In 2002, new accommodation units were added and in 2010, the Lobster Pot, a day care centre for prisoners over the age of 50 was set up. Around 3 year ago the visitors centre ( not strictly part of the prison) was shut and the land it stood on sold. The prison is run by HMPS as part of the South West region and has a capacity of 527, the #1 governor is Chantel King.
Three units – A, B and C – each on two floors