Leeds prison was built in 1847 and has been the centre of public protection for the citizens of Leeds and West Yorkshire for over 150 years. Construction of Leeds Prison (originally named Leeds Borough Gaol) was completed in 1847. Built from locally quarried stone, the prison originally had four wings radiating from a central point in a style typical of the time. Each of these four wings had three landings of cells. Know locally as Armley Gaol it was renamed along with other prisons to make their locations more obvious to people unfamiliar with these areas. A further two wings were added in 1994. Other refurbishments since then have modernised the residential units, provided improved showering and food servery areas and enhanced primary health care facilities.
HMP Leeds served courts in Leeds and West Yorkshire and is part of the Yorkshire & Humberside prison region run by HMPS. The #1 governor is Steve Robson and the prison has a capacity of 1212.
Accommodation at the prison
- A, B, C, E wings hold adult male convicted prisoners and those on remand. A wing is an incentivised drug-free living unit, which accommodates those who wish to engage in therapeutic activities to support a substance-free lifestyle.
- The segregation unit is on A1 landing.
- D wing accommodates adult male convicted prisoners and those on remand, along with those stabilising from the effects of drugs and alcohol.
- The first night centre is on D1 landing.
- F wing is the vulnerable prisoner unit