Full Sutton is a modern, purpose-built, maximum security prison for men in category A and category B. It opened in 1987 and lies about 11 miles east of the City of York in open countryside in the village of Full Sutton, near to the town of Pocklington. The prison’s primary function is to hold, in conditions of high security, some of the most difficult and dangerous criminals in the country.
The prison has a capacity of 586, and the #1 governor is Gareth Sands, who has been in charge since February 2019l. It is part of the Yorkshire & Humberside region and of the high security estate.
- A unit – residential unit
- B unit – vulnerable prisoners’ unit and the STEP unit
- C unit – vulnerable prisoners’ unit
- D unit – vulnerable prisoners’ unit
- E unit – residential unit
- F unit – residential unit
- Close supervision centre unit
- Separation centre