The prison was opened as a male Cat C in 1989, but since then has undergone numerous changes in role, recently being refurbished and opened a a female closed prison in May 2016. It has an operational capacity of 355 and is part of the London region. The #1 governor is Natasha Wilson, who has been in charge since December 2018
- A wing – reception/induction, single floor with 43 rooms.
- B wing – single floor with 47 rooms.
- C wing – 210 rooms over four floors (North and South)
- D wing – the resettlement wing comprised of 40 rooms
- E wing – high-risk transgender unit
- The segregation unit, adjacent to B wing has 7 cells