The prison was opened as a male Cat C in 1989, but since then has undergone numerous changes in role, recently being refurbished and opened a a female closed prison in May 2016. It has an operational capacity of 355 and is part of the London region. The #1 governor is Robin Eldridge.
- A wing – reception/induction, single floor with 43 rooms.
- B wing – methadone maintenance, single floor with 47 rooms.
- C wing – 210 rooms over four floors (North and South)
- C wing 1 and 2 North drug recovery landings.
- C wing 1 and 2 South, mainly occupied by workers.
- C wing 3 landings North and South, women on the standard level of IEP
- C wing 4 landings North and South, women on the enhanced level of IEP
- D wing – the resettlement wing comprised of 40 rooms occupied by women on the enhanced level of IEP.
- The segregation unit, adjacent to B wing has 7 cells