Visiting times are as follows:
|Mainstream Prisoners||Vulnerable Prisoners||High Security Unit Prisoners|
You can book a visit by calling 0208-331-4768 or book by e-mail to BelmarshV@hmps.gsi.gov.uk. The e-mail must include the prisoners name and date of birth in the “Subject” line, the day you want to visit (with two alternative dates), full name, full address, date of birth and relation to the prisoner for every visitor that wishes to visit. You should receive a reply within 24 hours. When booking by e-mail you must book a minimum of 48 hours in advance and up to two weeks ahead. If you haven’t received an e-mail confirmation you haven’t got a visit booked! There is a maximum of 3 visitors aged 10 years and over and 3 under 10 years.
Security at the prison reflects the prisoners held. The prison uses a biometric system where visitors’ finger prints and facial photos will be taken on the first visit. These are then used for proof of ID for any later visits, however always bring your photo ID and proof of address with you. The staff will accept a current British passport or a Driving License (with current address and the picture card) plus proof of address (i.e.: bank statement/utility bill, dated within the last 3 months)
– OR –
- Passports: foreign passports, time-expired passports with a recognisable photo, no more than 1 year out of date.
- Non UK Photo driving license, no more than 1 year out of date.
- EC identify card/Home Office card ID/letter of photo ID from immigration.
- Discount Oystercard
- Freedom Pass
- Employers card/ Student Card (with name & photo)
- Medical Card
- Tenancy Agreement/Rent book ( must be 3-6 Months in date)’
plus: proof of address with a utility bill/bank statement no more than 3 months old
As at all prisons, the staff expect a certain standard of dress. You may be refused entry to the prison if you wear clothes or shoes to the visit which breach security concerns. As examples only, the following are not considered suitable:-
- Hooded clothing
- Ripped jeans
- Hats, scarves, bandanas or gloves
- Football shirts or clothing with a national crest
- Stiletto heeled shoes
- Low cut or see through clothing
- Shorts, short skirts or dresses which come above the knee
There is a Visitor’s Centre run by Spurgeons, a national charity open before your visit. Make sure you arrive at least 45 mins before your visiting time so that you can be processed through security. The are lockers (£1 deposit) in which you will be able to leave your possession and you will be able to take £15 into the visits hall to buy refreshments. For more information please go to www.spurgeons.org/hmp-belmarsh, call 020 8317 3888 or email email@example.com.
View Larger Map
From Woolwich Arsenal Station catch the 244/380 bus to the prison. Click here for timetablesThe bus stops are situated directly outside the exit from the railway station. The nearest stations are Woolwich Arsenal and Plumstead. Catch a bus from Woolwich Arsenal station to the prison, or walk from Plumstead station, about a mile away.
By car from from M25 Dartford Bridge/Tunnell take the first slip road immediately after tolls, (NB head for 4 left hand tolls when coming over the bridge). Signposted A206. First exit at roundabout and come over the motorway. Then on the roundabout over M25 – signposted A206 Crayford/ Erith. University Way and:
- Roundabout end of University Way/ dual carriageway signposted A206 Crayford / Erith.
- Into Bexley / single carriageway / roundabout.
- 4th exit signposted Erith A206 Crayford/Erith Roundabout end dual carriageway
- 2nd exit signposed Woolwich/ Thamesmead A206
- Roundabout 2nd exit signposted A2016 Thamesmead, Plumstead, Woolwich
- Series of roundabouts signposted A2016 Thamesmead, Plumstead, Woolwich
- Dual carriageway towards Thamesmead, roundabout signposted Western Way
- Signpost to Belmarsh and Courts – left slip road at traffic lights.
If driving from Woolwich proceed along Plumstead Road, turn left into Pettman Crescent (just before Plumstead Bus Garage) then take the second left at the traffic lights into Western Way. Belmarsh is situated approximately half a mile down on the right-hand side. Follow signs for HMP Belmarsh and Courts.
From Plumstead go along Plumstead High Street, turn right into Pettman Crescent (just after Plumstead Bus Garage) then take the second left at the traffic lights into Western Way. Belmarsh is situated approximately half a mile down on the right-hand side. Follow signs for HMP Belmarsh and Courts.
There is a visitors’ car park.