HMP and YOI Peterborough opened in March 2005 and Sodexo Justice Services is subcontracted to operate the prison. It shares the same site and management as a Male Cat B prison, and is part of the East of England region. It has a capacity of 384, and the #1 governor is Nick Leader
The residential units are in 2 houseblocks. Each had five self-contained wings with a servery, showers, baths and association areas. Wings consisted of purpose-built double cells or single cells, some of which had been adapted for two prisoners. There was a dedicated self contained mother and baby unit with 12 rooms.
- Houseblock 1
- A1 – young adults (18-25 years)
- B1 – integrated drug treatment system unit and first night centre for those requiring detoxification or stabilisation
- C1 – transitional care unit for those with additional needs or at risk prisoners
- D1 – for prisoners serving over five years and lifers
- E1 – first night centre.
- Houseblock 2
- A2 – remand prisoners
- B2 – sentenced prisoners
- C2 – enhanced level prisoners
- D2 – sentenced prisoners
- E2 – foreign nationals.