HMP Littlehey first opened in 1988 on the site of Gaynes Hall Youth Custody Centre. In January 2010, the site was extended to accommodate a population of up to 480 young offenders, with the addition of four new accommodation blocks, an all-weather sports pitch, gym, adult learning and kitchen buildings. In 2014 the prison was re-roled to become an all adult male Cat C sex offender prison.
- 4 wings (A–D), which hold 131 or 130 prisoners each.
- 3 wings (J-L), which hold 120 prisoners each
- E wing is the induction wing and holds 99 prisoners.
- F wing is an enhanced wing which houses 36 prisoners.
- G wing is an enhanced wing which holds 40 prisoners.
- H wing provides accommodation for prisoners engaged in the drug rehabilitation programme and can hold 43 prisoners.
- I wing older prisoners, which can hold 120
Wings A – H are on the original site and are referred to locally as Lakeside. Wings I – L are on the newer site and are referred to locally as Woodlands.