The prison was built by the Prison Service on the site of a former power station in the town centre on an island between a river and a canal close to the centre of Doncaster. It opened in June 1994. It is run by Serco and is part of the Yorkshire & Humberside region. It has a capacity of 1145 and the #1 governor is William Brown
Prisoners are accommodated primarily in 3 house blocks, each comprising 4 wings Additional accommodation is provided in the annex on the ground floor of the health centre building. Each wing houses prisoners in cells on two levels surrounding an association area. The segregation unit has 22 cells with 2 protest cells and 2 special cells.