The prison was built between 1875 and 1891 by prisoners from Milbank Gaol. During its existence is has housed women prisoners, been a borstal and was used by the War department in the early 1940’s. The buildings were refurbished around 15 years ago at the same time a new wing was added.
- A wing holds 290 prisoners; two of the four landings are for prisoners in full-time activities
- B wing holds 176 prisoners and operates as the induction wing.
- C wing holds 317 prisoners
- D wing has single-cell accommodation for 244 prisoners, and holds most
- prisoners whose cell-sharing risk has been assessed as high
- E wing has 146 single cells; two of the three landings are for prisoners in full-time activities.
- E4, has the new function of a mentoring and support unit.
- The first night centre has spaces for 34 new arrivals.
- Jan Wilcox unit, which is used as an extension of B wing, has 17 spaces for peer workers and enhanced prisoners.
- Conibeere unit has 55 spaces for new arrivals requiring substance misuse stabilisation.
- The segregation unit has 19 cells.
- There is also an in-patient health care unit (17 bed)