HMP Winchester was built in 1846 and is a typical Victorian prison of radial design. C wing was fully refurbished in 2008. There are 2 main parts to the prison, the main older part holding Cat B man, and the new smaller part, commonly referred to a West Hill holding Cat C men who are eligible for ROTLs
- A wing: remand and convicted mixed wing, induction and first night wing
- B wing: remand and convicted mixed wing
- C wing: induction, first night unit for prisoners undergoing detoxification only, detoxification and
- integrated dug treatment system remand and convicted wing
- D wing: remand and convicted vulnerable prisoner wing
- West Hill (and Hearn): category C training unit.