The establishment, opened in 1953, is the oldest of the open prisons. It forms part of a two establishment cluster with HMP Grendon therapeutic prison which is situated on the same site.
Accommodation is in 13 separate units s located in the prison grounds. 9 units S) hold 22 prisoners each, 3 units hold 40 prisoners each and there is a 16-bed dedicated unit for prisoners with substance misuse support needs.
All the units have their own kitchens, laundries and association areas.