Originally built as a prison in 1874 on a former military site above the River Medway, it was rebuilt in the early 1900s as the Borstal Institute, taking its title from the adjacent village. In 1988, the prison started to operate as a remand centre for Kent courts and sentenced category C and D adult males. In March 2002, Rochester became a dedicated site for sentenced young men aged between 18 and 21. With the building of F, G, H and R wings in 2008, Rochester increased its maximum capacity to 658. In June 2011, Rochester became a dual purpose site catering for young offenders and adult category C offenders.
- B wing, 93 singles 4 doubles/dorms
- C wing, 65 singles 15 doubles/dorms
- D wing, 93 singles 4 doubles /dorms
- E wing, 20 singles, 49 doubles/dorms
- F wing, 30 doubles
- G wing, 30 doubles
- H wing, 120 singles