HMP Preston was originally built in 1790. It closed in 1931 and reopened for military use in 1939 becoming a civilian prison again in 1948. In March 2014, the prison was given resettlement prison status under the government’s plans to transform how offenders are managed. A substance misuse recovery unit opened alongside a relaunched substance misuse assessment unit. Its community engagement centre enhances ‘through the gate’ processes.
- A1 – Segregation unit
- A2 – First night centre
- A3/4/5 – Induction and general population
- B – General population
- C1 – Drug unit
- C2 – Vulnerable prisoner unit
- C3/4 – General population
- D – General population
- F – Substance misuse recovery unit
- G – Risk assessed workers unit for prison orderlies.