HMP North Sea Camp was originally a borstal, which opened in 1935. The original staff and trainees were from HMP Stafford and they established a tented camp at the site while they began to build permanent buildings. They also built a new sea bank to reclaim further land from The Wash. This work was completed in 1979. The reclaimed land was used for farming before being sold in 2004.
Single accommodation is available for up to 84 prisoners; the remaining facilities are shared and consist of cells and dormitories. In addition to this, there are a further 42 beds within four detached houses, which are used for long-term prisoners living independently. The prison forms part of the East Midlands region and can hold 420 prisoners. The governor is Paul Yates.